Amplification is the 3rd step in developing a creative idea using Jung’s techniques for accessing the unconscious.
- Stage 1 is intuition – choose an image from a powerful dream or feeling or a response from something in your life.
- Stage 2 is bringing the intuition into the consciousness. What is going on here? What does it mean to me personally? Where is it going? Active imagination is one way to take that intuition and work with it – check out example (AI) active imagination.
- Stage 3 is linking to creative expression in and for the world. With this step you can think about how to communicate to people beyond your on physic – amplification is the technique.
Here is my example of amplification from the recent AI on the Inanna myth.
I saw a vortex appear in the sky and transport Inanna from the garden to the city in my AI. From a Google image search, Alice falling down he rabbit hole, I found an animated sequence that matched my imagination. It has the perspective of looking at the sky, lack of control, speed, and a tunnel transition from one place to another.
A friend commented that my AI reminded her of Inanna’s decent into the underworld. I focused on the tunnel image because it’s like so many popular stories:
- Alice in Wonderland – Alice falling down the rabbit hole from earth to Wonderland.
- The Wizard of Oz – Dorothy being sucked up into the tornado and transported from Earth to Oz.
- Dr.Who and the time vortex in the sky that transports him through time and space.
- Flash Gordan’s Time tunnel
- Sliders TV show time tunnel
- Jack and the Bean Stock
- Journey to the center of the Earth
The urban dictionary defines “Rabbit Hole” as:
In my own creative process I like to draw the spiral and I think this amplification has helped me have a better understanding of my work as well as giving me larger references on which I can expand the imagery.
Examples of rabbit holes in my artwork