This 3D model was created as a modern day interpretation of the classic RWS Emperor Tarot card. I’ve been working with symbolic imagery in my creative practice. Recreating the card imagery by collaging assets in a virtual space is my method. I’m starting with the Emperor as my first card. In honor of April and those people in my life who express the qualities of this powerful archetype.
Modernizing the traditional imagery includes the use of a new method, 3D modeling technology. The figure is less gender specific and represents a hybrid or alchemical image. The collage represents the moment as humanities fluid digital identity is a mashup collage of merging cultures and traditions that have yet to settle into any fixed energies.
Emperor Scene Variations
Key Elements in the Emperor Tarot Scene from RWS Tradition
- The Emperor sits on a ram-adorned throne, a symbol of Mars. Four ram heads at the corners represent the four corners of the earth.
- The dominant color red is associated with Aries zodiac sign or the planet Saturn and Capricorn sun sign. Passions is also represented with red in the traditional robe figure (skin in mine). The element is fire.
- His long white beard bearing the symbol of wisdom (bird in my version).
- The crown, a dome shape is authority and self sufficiency.
- The armor a symbol of power and strength (helmet in my version).
- An Ankh scepter is on his right, and
- a globe/apple, symbol of domination, on his left.
- The Emperor sits atop a stark, barren mountain, a sign of “sterility of regulation, and unyielding power.”
- The river, body of water, in the background is a reference to the fertility and curvy organic qualities of the Empress.
Symbolic Meaning of Emperor
He symbolizes the top of the secular hierarchy, the ultimate male ego and a Divine Masculine. The Emperor is the absolute ruler of the world.
4. THE EMPEROR.–Stability, power, protection, realization; a great person; aid, reason, conviction also authority and will. Reversed: Benevolence, compassion, credit; also confusion to enemies, obstruction, immaturity. -Wiki source